Saturday, November 25, 2017

Topsy Turvy, Chapter Three

As promised, the next installment of a world I want to believe in...

By the end of March, our new arrangement had started to take on the coziness of established routine. A freak late snowstorm the second week of April nearly kept us home that Saturday, but after dithering for half an hour over dessert, we changed into our preferred cruising outfits–Jim’s torn jeans and leather vest, my sweater over a button-down shirt–and headed off.

Surviving a Midwestern winter, only to think you’ve seen the end of it, and then to find it’s returned for one last, frigid, gusting fling–it’s enough to keep even horny men at home with lube and a towel. The bar was emptier than it’d been in bleak mid-winter. We split up inside to cruise on own for a quarter of an hour, then found ourselves side by side, the separation apparently pointless amidst the dearth of likely hookups.

Around the peripheries of the bar, over a soundtrack blaring at a level even more stupidly pumped up than usual, men were trying to talk to each other in twos and threes. Across the room, Kurt leered at us from over a beer bottle upended into his face. His other hand was cupped over the mound of his jeans where his leather chaps exposed the denim of his crotch. Lowering the bottle from his lips, he wiped his mouth with the back of the hand that held it, set it down, and strode over to us.

He smiled and nodded at me, then turned to Jim with a gruff, “Hey there.”

“Hey there, yourself,” Jim growled back.

I couldn’t explain the surge of animosity and resentment that washed over me. Jim’s story of the night Kurt had fucked him hadn’t just gotten me hard the first time I’d heard it the next morning. We’d rehearsed it to each other more than once in subsequent weeks, Jim getting off on the raunchy retelling, and me getting off on watching Jim’s erection swell up over his thigh as he repeated the details of what had happened that night. But this was a new twist: a man back for more, a trick who on the second fuck might become a buddy. But more to the point, who simply presumed it was OK to saunter over and lay his claim when the two of us stood together.

Or maybe I was just jealous. Kurt’s buzzed red hair stood out again the pallor of his freckled white neck; his limpid brown eyes danced above a tightly clipped beard of copper with a first dusting of forty-something snow around his chin. His chest swelled in the black T-shirt under his leather vest. Jim melted into the crook of his arm as soon as Kurt raised it to clinch Jim’s shoulder. I couldn’t top Jim myself. But could I be Kurt’s boy right beside Jim, the one he turned his mitigated attentions to when he’d already pounded my lover into a happy pulp? Could I coax the two of them along, grabbing Kurt’s balls from behind while he plowed into the man I loved? Could I brace Jim’s chest against my arms while Kurt rammed him toward bliss?

There wasn't time to sustain such fantasies for long. Kurt was in no mood to beat around the bush. As he pulled Jim into a rough kiss, the muscles in his neck told me his tongue was well on its way to my boyfriend’s tonsils. Neither one of them showed much sign that my presence was cramping their style. Across the room where Kurt had stood before he made his move, the two friends he’d been with smirked at the three of us.

Kurt and Jim unclinched long enough for Kurt to turn and face me. “Looks like I’m gonna take your boyfriend here home to fuck,” he winked. “He’s pretty hot for it, and I gather it’s OK by you if I borrow his hole.”

I wanted to throw my drink in his face, but I stood stupidly, watching Kurt pull Jim away by the finger he’d hooked into his front pocket, the heel of his hand flattened across the fly of Jim’s worn jeans, his thumb pressed possessively into the denim. Beyond the doorway of the next room, Kurt turned around, pulled Jim’s head roughly forward into another long, greedy kiss, the hand he’d used to haul him by the belt-loop now reaching inside his shirt to knead the loose meat of his chest. Jim melted into him again, his face slumping into Kurt’s neck, his arms clinging around Kurt’s shoulders. Kurt looked up, and our eyes locked. He read my resentment, hesitated, and then his eyes hardened.

Prick, I said to myself, turning on my heel and heading for the door.

The cold air cleared my head a little. The mostly deserted street seemed as good a place as any to shake off the rage that had boiled over at the sight of Jim necking like a teenager. The snow had stopped, and the moon had risen in a sky now full of scudding clouds. Up the block, I could hear the crunch of boots as the two guys who’d left the bar just before me trudged through a drift across the sidewalk. One of them I’d almost connected with myself. Stopping by a grey Honda, he fumbled with his car keys. From down the block in the other direction came a peculiar, soft whine, the spin of wheels without the sound of a gunning motor to accompany it.

At the end of the block, an electric wheelchair rolled halfway up the raked curb at the corner, pushing forward a foot, then sliding back. As it careened forward again, it listed to the left, and two arm braces that had been hooked over the backrest dropped off into the snow. A guy in black jeans, a green hooded sweatshirt, and a leather jacket leaned from the seat, made a swipe at the closer brace, and fell out of the chair into the snow. “Shit,” I heard him mutter softly, but with a clarity that fresh snow on a cold night somehow brings even to faint sounds at a distance.

He didn’t seem hurt, but I sprinted down the block. By the time I’d reached him, he’d already pulled himself up to retrieve the braces.

“I thought you could use a hand, but it looks like you’ve got things under control,” I said as he hooked them over the backrest again and lowered himself into the seat.

“I could still use a push, thanks. This thing’s made for Florida, not the Midwest,” he said. “I saw you coming out of Underdog. Place is busy?”

“Not on a night like this.  Anyway, I’ve had enough for one night.” I boosted him over the curb onto the level pavement and walked along as the chair whirred up the block, skidding a little on a couple of patches of drift that pedestrians hadn’t tamped down. “How far have you come in that thing on a night like this?” I asked.

“I live three blocks over,” he said. “Stupid night to try this. Cabin fever and horniness trumped good sense.” His sidelong grin was a little sheepish. It was a smile you couldn’t help but smile back at.

“I’ll wish you better adventure than I had tonight,” I smirked back. “I’ve never seen you here before,” I added.

“Just moved,” he said as we rolled up to the door. “My first time here. I gather it’s the only game in town.” He looked around. “And ain’t no ramp in sight. You?”

“Here the last year and a half.” I looked at the braces. “Can you make it in with those?”

“No problem. As long as I can find a place to sit.” He reached around for the braces, fitted them over his arms, then pushed himself up to a standing position with an obvious reserve of strength in his upper arms. The heft of his shoulders filled out his jacket. “I’m Paul. Can I buy you a nightcap to thank you for being a good scout?” He had tousled black hair, olive skin and a thick five-o’clock shadow across his jaw.

“Um, it’s complicated,” I said. “I really don’t need to go back in there tonight.”

“I’d just ask you to walk me home and I could offer you a beer there,” he grinned again, “but I’m staying with my sister, and she’s not keen on unannounced gentleman callers late into the night.” This time the grin had a little less sheep and a little more wolf to it. I noticed that inside the jacket, the sweatshirt seemed to be stretched across a chest massive enough to go with the shoulders. “Maybe some other time.” He paused. “Too bad I can’t ask you back,” he added. “I really do give the best blow job most guys I’ve slept with say they’ve ever had.”

I laughed, more than a little jealous of his chutzpah. He laughed too and looked like laughing came easily to him. He nodded to the stairs at the door. “If you could just spot me up those, it’d be a big help.”

What the hell, I thought. “Maybe I could spot you up the stairs to my house instead,” I suggested.

“Well, wonders never cease. A boy who knows good head on wheels when he sees it.” He started to hook the braces over the chair again, then instead held them out to me. “Tricking with me involves chores,” he said.

“I don’t think we can get the chair into my car,” I hesitated.

“It’s OK. I can drive over myself. If you can see me through the snowdrifts back to my place and then pick up your car, I’ll follow you home.” He laid the flat of his hand on my flank, just above my hip, his thumb digging into the hollow of my thigh. “Like a dog in heat.”

No comments:

Post a Comment